Weight Loss Treatment
The road map to weight loss may comprise of umpteen roadblocks, but staying committed to the process is the key.
Whether you are a connoisseur of food or suffering from an eating disorder such as Bulimia, keeping a close watch on your weight becomes absolutely essential. In case, you fail to do so, your weight is bound to increase to a point when you are denominated as obese. As you register yourself on to the “overweight list”, risks of other serious and potentially life-threatening diseases such as type 2 diabetes, heart disease, stroke, cancer etc. increases. Furthermore, this condition can severely damage your quality of life, leaving you immobile which in turn causes depression. Hence, before the situation worsens, adequate steps should be taken in order to curb obesity and its associated health risks once in for all.
Methods to combat obesity
While keeping up with the hectic schedules, eating healthy food and engaging in an active lifestyle by following a strict workout routine is effective, indulging in various weight-loss interventions offer best and faster results.
What is weight loss surgery?
Weight loss surgery, an umbrella term includes a variety of procedures performed to treat obesity. To help you understand better, we have listed and explained the various types of weight loss treatment in India that are performed on patients to battle obesity permanently.
1. Laparoscopic Gastric Banding: In this procedure, an inflatable band is positioned around the upper part of the stomach to construct a small pouch along with a narrow passage into the remainder of the stomach. The band is inflated with saline afterwards. Over time, this band is adjusted with an aim to alter the passage’s size. This particular procedure is advised and performed on severely obese people- those who are almost 100 pounds or more.
2. Biliopancreatic Diversion: Malabsorptive operations like Biliopancreatic Diversion(BPD), wherein a large portion of the stomach is removed, restrict food intake and amount of calories and nutrients the body absorbs both. Being a high-risk procedure (nutritional deficiencies are common), BPD is less frequently used than other types of weight-loss procedures.
3. Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass (RGB): The stomach is made smaller by making use of surgical staples by the surgeon, in this procedure. As a result of which, a small stomach pouch is formed that remains attached to the middle part of the small intestine. As food goes into the patient’s mouth, it bypasses the upper part of the small intestine as well as stomach and travels straight to the middles segment of the small intestine via small opening. this bypassing of food limits the amount of food an individual eats, and so weight remain under control. However, this procedure can give rise to a few symptoms like nausea, weakness, sweating and diarrhea.
4. Vertical Banded Gastroplasty (VBG): A restrictive gastric bypass surgery, Vertical banded gastroplasty is a form of bariatric surgery for weight control. this type of surgical procedure is highly effective in patients suffering from severe obesity. The prime objective of this procedure is again the same; it impede the food intake rate inpatients. The surgeon utilizes sophisticated surgical staples to create a small stomach pouch. being small in size, the concerned individual feels full sooner. The major benefit of this procedure is that it does not affect the absorption process involved in digestion.
5. Sleeve Gastrectomy: Sleeve Gastrectomy is a restrictive surgical procedure, wherein the size of stomach is scaled down- it is reduced to about 25% of its original size. The process of reduction of the stomach’s size is executed by extracting a large portion of stomach along the greater curvature. The respective open edges are attached together (with the help of surgical staples); the result is a sleeve or tube. Sleeve Gastrectomy is gaining popularity in young patients including children and adolescents.
So, instead of relying solely on improving your lifestyle that includes diet, exercise etc., you should seek consultation from surgeons who perform aforementioned weight-loss surgical procedures and act accordingly. The surgeon will diagnose the extent of the condition and advise any of the above surgical interventions which in turn will help you cut down those extra calories that is refraining you from enjoying life to the fullest.